Monday, March 5, 2007

My Little Man Turns 6


Today was no normal day, it was a celebration of my sons birthday. It is his 6th Birthday today and he has been counting down for the last two weeks. I can't believe how fast time flies, i still feel like i am 18 years old, just now i have two little precious children to love and cherish.

I can still remember when I found out i was pregnant with BJ. My sister took me to the doctor to have a pregnancy test and I couldn't believe it. It explains alot though, i had been feeling very sick for the week prior, I remember feeling awful, a feeling i had never experienced ever before and I will never forget one of my customers commenting on my sickness being "morning sickness". I shrugged it off obviously and thought nothing of the sort.

BJ was not planned, but a gift given to me and my husband, a gift i would never opt to give back, and one i have never taken for granted. My pregnancy started some excitement in my family. You see, I am the second youngest daughter in my family. I have 6 older sisters and one younger adopted sister. And in our family are girls, girls and more girls. All the grand children were girls and wants for a boy were very strong by many people in my family.

I must admit, i knew, i knew as soon as i found out i was carrying that i was going to give birth to a boy, mothers instinct. I just knew. When i found out that I was carrying a boy, i gave my son his name. Brandon-Jaye i called him. After my father. I didn't ask anyone, not even Stan, it just came naturally. Stanley was totally supportive with naming our son after his Koro (Grand father) so obviously i was over the moon.

My father on the other hand wasn't too impressed, (although to this day i don't believe his little lecture lol) You see, my father thinks of himself of having bad luck, and that any child that was named after him was to have bad luck also. Anywhoo I was having my fathers first grand son and i wanted him named after my father and that was that. I actually gave my son my fathers whole name. Brandon-Jaye Tahakura Kohu. I often wondered where my grand father or grand mother came up with Brandon-Jaye in 1950 in New Zealand, but that didn't matter, what i mean is that they had chosen such a lovely name for my father. BJ's name was to be hyphened with hubbies last name too. Dad insisted on changing the name a little. So he provided a name which is Tamarawaho. Tamarawaho is one of our Ancestors, my son has a very strong name but he carries it well.

Oh how i wish time would just slow down, i cant believe how fast my son has grown. I remember driving myself to the hospital when i had contractions, also pulling over at the gas station to get some batteries for my camera to make sure that hubby takes some pictures of BJ's delivery (which never happened). Stan thought it was hilarious, waddling into the gas station, waiting until the contraction finished before moving any further. Thinking back, i suppose i was a bit strange...

I remember BJ's birth so well because it was so very frightening for me. I had everything you could possibly think of in ways of pain relief, my delivery was not progressing well at all and we ended up having to have a forceps delivery (after being told it could possibly be a Cesar). I had an epidural just prior so i couldn't feel my legs, but i was dreading having to bring my son into this world by someone pulling on his precious little head. I tried as hard as i could to push, with all the might i had, and i still don't know whether my efforts done anything at all.

I had my husband Stanley and my sisters Nikki and Tangiwai in the surgery room with me. Nikki was 6 months pregnant with my nephew. I remember when they were pulling BJ out I heard clicks, i was scared to death, i asked the Dr what was happening, and i got no response. I was terrified, all i had to do was look at my sister and she knew i was terrified. Tangiwai is one big sister, and needless to say, they answered her when she asked! When they put him up on my chest, he was limp, he didn't move, i couldn't see him breathing, i couldn't feel a thing, within a second i pleaded to my sister Tangiwai to see if he was ok. Then i heard him cry, it was the most precious sound i have ever heard. The sound of a new born baby just makes my heart melt. He was finally here, and he was safe and sound.


We have been through so much in the last 6 years, i could fill this blog just talking about my son, my little man, my buddy, mummies little boy. All his acheivements, his first word, his first tooth, his first graze, his bright smile, his soft voice, his loving nature.

Our son is such a special boy, he and his sister has put our lives into perspective , he is precious, and heaven sent.

Love you always my son xoxo Mum

1 comment:

Kate said...

Oh Ebz - that was just a fabulous read - to see and feel how much you love your family is a privilege.

Hugs k8

India Arie